Tuesday, May 29, 2012

One Night in Bintan

Brian trained for the past six months to compete in the Bintan Olympic-distance triathlon this past weekend. He was especially disciplined with his training this time and I was looking forward to watching him finish with a personal best time in the race.

Unfortunately Brian came down with a fever Monday before the race and he couldn't get rid of it until the day of the race. After feeling miserable for nearly a week, he knew he was in no condition to compete and had to skip it. He handled the disappointment much better than I would have if I had been in his shoes. And I was relieved that Brian was wise enough to realize it was not a good idea to attempt a 3-hour race in the heat when he wasn't feeling 100 percent.

But since we had already paid for the ferry transfers and the hotel for the two of us, we decided to go ahead and travel to Bintan Friday evening anyway. We enjoyed dinner with our friend Mary who competed in her first Sprint-distance triathlon the following morning. And after Brian fell asleep, I spent the rest of the night attempting to set up electricity service in our Texas house on my iPad. Fun times.

Our Preferred Spot on Saturday

What I did enjoy in Bintan was the Indonesian brew. Bintang beer is a favorite of ours and for some unknown reason, Singapore doesn't import it. Since Brian wasn't participating in the race, we had a lazy day Saturday, watching Mary do well in her race, lounging by the pool and taking shelter in our poolside cabana when rain started falling early afternoon. The weather was not cooperating with the Olympic-distance start time.

They started the race once the thunderstorms stopped and Brian and I made our way over to the finish line to watch the top competitors finish. It was an impressive group of athletes!

We enjoyed an early dinner (with more Bintang) and took the ferry back to Singapore Saturday night. I'm glad we still made the trip because it was a relaxing getaway for us that hopefully will hold us over during the chaotic month ahead. I just wish I could have been watching my hubby compete. 
Savoring My Last Bintang


No comments:

Post a Comment