Friday, May 18, 2012

It's a Small World

I have often experienced small world moments while living in Singapore. Normally they involve discovering that someone I meet here also grew up in the Dallas area or their spouse did. And sometimes they even graduated from our same high school. That happened with Megan's first grade teacher and also with my friend Karen whom I met through Bunco this past year. Finding those connections so physically removed from Texas makes them memorable.

But, this past year, I have experienced the ultimate small world moment. When we found out we were moving to Singapore, I immediately thought of my high school friend Laurynn because she had lived here briefly as a child. I probably only remembered that because her mother had decorated their living room in their Plano home with Asian-inspired pieces. And, soon after we shared the news, Laurynn sent words of encouragement about the move with the important message, "Make sure you get Megan into Singapore American School. It was an amazing school."

Last fall, SAS shared the news that the board of directors had found a new school superintendent to replace our current leader who will leave next month. Remember - the man who placed the generous bid on the painting of Elizabeth a couple years ago? Well, the incoming superintendent comes from the Redmond, Washington, school district. My initial thought was he was one lucky guy to get the job.

Within hours, I heard from Laurynn again with the news that the new superintendent was her current boss, as Laurynn is a junior high school principal in the Redmond district. She remarked that SAS was lucky to get him as the new leader because he would do an incredible job. I couldn't help but laugh that somehow our worlds kept colliding around Singapore.

Imagine my excitement when Laurynn arrived in late February to interview for the HR Director position at SAS. Her boss, Mr. New Superintendent, encouraged her to apply for the role and we had a few Skype sessions during that time where I shared my thoughts about life in Singapore. Not surprisingly, Laurynn was offered the job and she accepted. She and her husband came back in late April to house hunt and will move here July 1.

While it's unfortunate that we won't be here at the same time, I can't help but feel excited for Laurynn to begin her Singapore adventure as I conclude mine. I look forward to keeping up with her travels in this part of the world and hearing her humorous tales about local life on the island. Of course, it's nice to be able to sell a few kitchen appliances to an incoming friend as well!

Given that Laurynn already had a taste of expat life in her childhood, I have no doubt she will settle in quickly and do great work at the school we both find amazing.



No comments:

Post a Comment