Last weekend the Formula 1 race returned to Singapore and of course the Dean family participated in the festivities. This year Brian introduced Elizabeth to the action, escorting her and Megan to the Friday night practice session. The Singapore Grand Prix is a road race so wherever you are seated, you're only going to witness the action for a brief amount of time while the cars fly past. When the F1 cars started their engines for the practice session, they were quite a distance away from where Brian and the girls were sitting. He had ear plugs for everyone, but the young ones kept saying, "the cars aren't that loud, Daddy." As soon as the cars made their way towards their grandstand, they quickly changed their minds! (and yes, if our children have hearing issues later in life, I am holding their father responsible)
Youngest Dean Race Fan
Megan and Elizabeth had a great time at the races Friday evening, although it was difficult to tell how much of their enthusiasm was generated by the actual race cars versus the entertainment that surrounds the F1 weekend. Either way, Emily and I enjoyed listening to their tales the next morning.
Not sure what these Asian cowgirls had to do with F1 racing...
Brian had also purchased two tickets for qualifying Saturday night and I intended to join him that evening. I enjoy being able to watch those amazing cars for awhile and figured it would be fun to go to some of the concerts held afterwards. But that morning, Brian was offered one ticket in the suite through work and I'd like to think I scored some "good wife points" by encouraging him to dump me as his date and go sit in a suite instead. After all, that one ticket was priced at S$7,500 for the weekend so I knew it would be something he'd never experience otherwise!
Brian went to qualifying, I gave away our tickets and spent my evening on our balcony listening to the sound of the cars buzzing through the streets of Singapore. I'm certain my husband and I were both exactly where we were meant to be that evening. And I didn't really miss seeing Boy George perform later that night. I'm amazed he's still alive and that he is actually allowed to enter Singapore.
Brian's view at qualifying
More proof Singapore is way behind in the music scene
As Brian wished, we watched Sunday night's race at home on TV because he knew he could see the action better on the TV screen than at the actual race. Singapore orchestrated another great race weekend this year and while I'm happy to have all the roads open again, I loved the sound of those race cars and all the excitement surrounding their presence on the island for a few days.
No comments:
Post a Comment