Monday, October 10, 2011

International Buffet

The primary school recently celebrated United Nations Day and as one of the room parents for Elizabeth's Kindergarten class, I was responsible for organizing an important part of the day: lunch.

Weeks ahead of the event, I crafted an email to the parents, requesting they contribute a dish from their country of origin to share on UN Day. Within a couple hours of sending the email, we already had the beginnings of an impressive lunch spread. I am thankful for my decision to volunteer with Elizabeth's class this year because the parents are so enthusiastic.

Elizabeth and her classmates dressed in either their home country's clothing or from somewhere they have lived. Last year Elizabeth opted to go with her Singaporean flight attendant dress but this year she was an all-American girl sporting red, white and blue. After the primary school assembly that morning, they returned to the class to make their way through the international lunch buffet. Our buffet featured foods from Greece, Italy, Pakistan, Japan, Korea, the Philippines, USA, India and Mexico. Not surprisingly, Elizabeth's favorites were the Greek meatballs. All the adults agreed our class buffet rivaled any restaurant on the island in terms of variety and quality. I definitely ate my fair share of bulgogi and spring rolls!
 Part of Our International Buffet

UN Day provides a colorful display of the diverse cultures our children are exposed to while living in Singapore. And I love being able to celebrate those cultures by sharing our favorite foods. :)
Red, White and Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment