Friday, October 28, 2011

Megan's 9th Birthday

Megan celebrated her 9th birthday last week by hosting the inaugural slumber party of the Dean family. I'm happy to report that we all survived the experience fine and it will likely not be the LAST one we host in our home in years to come...

Megan's birthday was on Friday so Brian and I visited her classroom that afternoon to share cupcakes with her classmates. For her birthday dinner that night, Megan requested green chile enchiladas, which surprised me because I figured she would want to go out (like her Hooters request a few years back). After dinner, we enjoyed a giant cookie cake and Megan opened her gifts from us and extended family. She was thrilled with all her gifts and I'm happy she still gets so excited about her special day.

On Saturday we spent the day getting the house ready for her party. Megan invited six girlfriends over for the slumber party and told me ahead of time that she planned to stay up all night. As Megan reminded me, "that's what girls are supposed to do at a slumber party."

Aside from mass chaos at the beginning of the party when all seven girls were running laps around our living room, everyone settled in well when it was time for pizza, movie and popcorn. One friend went home just before bedtime, which left us with six girls to send to bed. Brian wisely suggested splitting them up into two bedrooms and that worked well because our birthday girl was out by 10pm. Meanwhile, in the other room, we could hear giggles periodically but they weren't disturbing anyone else in the house. Finally at 11pm, I suggested it was time to be quiet and get some sleep. It's an odd feeling to be the mother in that situation while remembering perfectly well what it felt like to be the girl at the sleepover. I patted myself on the back for a job well done when all was quiet by 11:15pm.

Unfortunately the party girls were awake at 6am the next morning, brutal punishment after a late night. They were all so good though and after playing a few games of Twister and eating breakfast together, they were on their way home. And I got some insight into what was going on in the "party" room when my friend explained that her daughter's roommates had been teaching her multiplication tables that night. I could only laugh and think, "you know you're at a slumber party in Asia when..." The slumber parties I attended years ago were educational but certainly not in that way.

Megan enjoyed her birthday this year and was especially thrilled with her slumber party since it was a whole new experience for her. And I felt good we could host her friends overnight with such a good outcome.

As always, I shared baby pictures with Megan and this year I didn't have to say a word about the day she was born. She retold her birth story with all the important details so I guess we've been consistent over the years! It's been such a blessing to watch Megan grow over the past 9 years and I just can't be sad about the passing of time when I continue to be amazed by her and eager to see what the future holds for our precious pumpkin. Happy Birthday, Megan Marie!

No comments:

Post a Comment