Sunday, October 30, 2011

Deepavali

Last week Singapore had a public holiday to observe Deepavali/Diwali, a Hindu holiday. Leading up to "the festival of lights," I was not surprised when Emily and Elizabeth both came home with small candle holders they made or decorated at school. We gave them prominent display in our home and lit the candles on Deepavali, per Elizabeth's instructions.
Blending Eastern Religions :)

Emily gets the award for the most decorated Dean for Deepavali, hopping off the afternoon bus with henna tattoos, a bindi (the jewel on her forehead) and colorful bracelets, while carrying a peacock feather (a good luck symbol). I love how our children get to learn a little bit about other religious traditions at school.
While the US has made a shift to refrain from religious expression over the years, I appreciate Singapore's approach. They don't show favoritism for any single religion. The government simply observes a public holiday for each of the major religions during the year. The result is that each religious community has the opportunity to celebrate and the rest of us get a glimpse into their culture. And if nothing else, it gives us another week day to enjoy sleeping in and spending time as a family. I've grown pretty fond of the arrangement.

No comments:

Post a Comment