Brian found a sandwich shop near his office that he calls the "Sandwich Nazi." The shop is run by one woman, Kat, and her male assistant, whom she calls "the boy." Every time Brian went there for lunch, he had a story to tell about his experience. Of course, his tales peaked my interest in the establishment so I asked him to take me one day. He was hesitant to do so because he was on good terms with the woman and I guess he was afraid I would get flustered and mess it up for him.
Finally a few months ago, I joined Brian for lunch there. I studied the board while waiting in line. And, there's a long line because her sandwiches are good. I wanted to know exactly what I was ordering when it was my turn so I wouldn't disgrace my husband! ;) Aside from telling us that she didn't want to hear any of our "domestic s#it" while we were talking in line, she was pleasant with me and I even added something to the sandwich with no adverse reaction from her. I was pleased to make it through the experience without insult and enjoy a tasty sandwich.
Kat is entertaining to watch because she critiques people's sandwich choices, gets irritated if they're uncertain about their order and generally enjoys being rude. She'll inform you that while you asked for wheat bread, you definitely want ciabatta instead. And you had better put horseradish on a roast beef sandwich or you're obviously a wuss. But, you can also see that it's all part of her act as she can be very nice as well.
I know this is true because we brought Emily there for lunch recently and the Sandwich Nazi could not have been more friendly and helpful when it came to ordering for our little girl. Of course, once we were done ordering, we could hear her berating the next customers in line.
The Straits Times recently published an article about rude hawker stands of Singapore, comparing them to the "Soup Nazi" in Seinfeld and our sandwich lady was featured. "Ms Kat Kassim, 44, runs a nameless hole-in-the-wall sandwich bar at International Plaza in Anson Road, which sees queues of 30 people during peak hours. She says: 'I make 200 sandwiches a day and when there is a long lunch queue, I admit that I can get impatient at times, say, when you ask what is good today or what I can recommend you, especially when I don't know you or your dislikes.' "
The fact remains that the woman is entertaining and makes a good sandwich for the money. After all, it's great to have an alternative to Subway sandwiches here. And I love the blackboard she displays. It gives you a taste of her temperament...
Omg thats hilarious
ReplyDelete