Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Field Trip

In the latest installment of "What I Like About Singapore," I took Emily on a field trip while her big sisters were at camp this week. Karen and I took our not-so-little ones to Universal Studios and let them run the show for the morning. We even traveled light and left our strollers behind. We parked at Vivocity Mall and hopped a ride on the Sentosa Express train to get to the park. The inexpensive train fare beats the S$15 parking fee and everyone knows a preschooler would rather ride the train anyway.

Since we had been to Universal before, we were familiar with the child-friendly attractions and we enjoyed the morning wandering around the park. Highlights included the Madagascar merry-go-round, Shrek 4D show and Dinosaurin'. I wasn't a fan of the jarring movement of the Shrek ride when we went as a family, so I was happy to be supportive of my pregnant friend and join her in the stationary seats instead. :)

After nearly 3 hours of walking around Universal, our young adventurers were ready for cold drinks and lunch. Once they were energized again, we stopped at a place I almost wish I didn't know existed: the Garrett Popcorn Shop. The Chicago-based company touts their popcorn as "one of Oprah's Favorite Things." I have to wonder how many people visiting the Sentosa location can fully appreciate the prestige of being chosen by Oprah, but either way, the popcorn is delicious. They offer plain, buttered, cheese and different varieties of caramel corn that include cashews, almonds and pecans. My personal favorites are the caramel crisp with cashews and the "Chicago Mix," a combination of cheese and caramel corn. I brought some home for the family and let's just say it's a good thing Brian wasn't late coming home that night or he would have been empty-handed.

While Megan and Elizabeth were a little envious they missed the outing, I assured them we will have many more opportunities to visit Universal Studios. And I relished the opportunity to go there with Emily and allow her to dictate the morning's agenda. Having great family entertainment options in our backyard is definitely a reason to like Singapore.
Emily and Best Buddy Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment