Thursday, June 24, 2010

Home Sweet Home

We arrived back in Dallas shortly after midnight Friday morning after an uneventful trip over the Pacific Ocean. We flew Singapore Air 16 hours to Los Angeles and then took an American flight the last 3 hours to get us home. I have no idea what that trip would be like in economy class with 3 children and I hope I never find out. They were all great travelers and handled the long flight like pros. Emily slept almost 9 hours on the flight and a mom just can't ask for much better than that!
Emily is ready to see this "Texas" place

Megan lounging on the SIN-LAX flight

Elizabeth watching a movie before bedtime on the plane

My first impressions of home? The weather is like a sauna - a dry heat - unlike the steam room we're accustomed to in Singapore. Our kitchen is enormous. The backyard has become a jungle (someone needs to do some tree pruning). The upstairs of our house is very pink. The refrigerator is huge. It's nice to have a yard again. I miss our Tanner dog. I see at least 3 rooms that could use an oriental rug. I can see stars at night and hear birds singing outside my kitchen window again. I love my coffee maker.

The girls played with all their stuff until about 2am and took an extended nap before waking up around 6:30am. Brian's parents came over later in the morning and Brian and I took off for Target and Central Market for a few items. I thoroughly enjoyed both stores and look forward to several more Target runs where I can browse through each aisle searching for gems.

My mom visited in the afternoon and stayed with the girls while Brian and I attended the annual Accenture Dallas office party. I wouldn't say that it was the best timing for us considering we had just arrived in town 18 hours earlier, but it was nice to see Brian's colleagues again and we ate good BBQ while listening to a country band. And the Shiner beer tasted good. It was such a stereotypical Texas event to experience upon our arrival!

Much to our surprise, everyone slept through the night so we're doing fairly well on the jetlag front. I made my first Wal-Mart run Saturday morning and did well driving. I was only tempted to turn the wrong way once so that's not too bad. I apparently have not acclimated to the friendly locals because the store clerk kept chatting about the items in my cart to the point where I found her incredibly irritating. I guess I'm used to more staring and less chatting.

After spending most of the day at home, it was nice to head out to Kincaid's Hamburgers with John, Nikki and Matthew for dinner. Being able to see family so easily will be such a treat while we're in town.

Unfortunately for Brian, he didn't get to sleep in for Father's Day because Emily woke up at 5am. The rest of the day was nice though because we went over to Brandon and Sara's house for a barbecue with the Dean dads. We were able to meet our adorable 3-month old nephew Holden and it was great to watch the cousins play together again. And of course I ate my fair share of delicious smoked meats as well!

Megan needed jeans for her horseback riding camp so we made a quick stop at Gap Kids that afternoon. We immediately found what she needed and the jeans were on sale for $6.97 with an additional 25 percent discount. We saw the same jeans in Singapore a couple weeks back for roughly $30 US. After that brief bargain shopping trip, I'm more eager than ever to hit the malls in search of great deals.

The visit is going well so far. Our house needs some attention but for the most part, it feels good to be there again. And when Emily went to bed within 2 hours of arriving at our house with no hesitation or fussiness, it made me feel that she instinctively knew her bedroom was a familiar place. It's so much fun to watch the girls re-discover their bedrooms and toys and I'm enjoying all the space.

On the downside, it's become clear to me in the past couple days that I have returned to my old job of cook and maid. I made breakfast Friday morning and I waited for someone to clean up but they never arrived. Hello? Where's Delia?! It's back to reality for a few weeks but I suppose that's okay if I get to enjoy good company, extensive shopping and delicious food along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment