Thursday, June 10, 2010

Rain, Rain Go Away

...or this mom of three may go insane! Having all the girls home is a nice change of pace, but the novelty is wearing off quickly in the Dean home and the weather is not helping me at all. We have had clouds and rain since Monday, which makes entertaining my darling girls much more challenging.

I've also been reminded this week that our smaller living space in Singapore feels pretty cramped when we're all here for an extended amount of time. So, we've had daily outings, if for no other reason than to give us all a break from the condo.

Monday morning all three girls wanted to grocery shop with me. Keep in mind that normally I take just Emily and since she's held captive in the cart, we do just fine. But this time, even with Emily contained, I still had two other children roaming around during our errand. About 5 minutes into the trip, I thought we would have to abort because Elizabeth started fussing about not being able to sit in the cart (it's tough not being the baby sometimes) and then Emily had a fit because her sisters were free to walk around and she wasn't. Why had I agreed to this madness?! Brian confirmed that I had obviously temporarily lost my mind.

Well, in the end, all turned out okay because Megan took control of the list and happily ordered us around the store. After all, the best way to keep Megan happy is to let her take charge. I let Elizabeth pick out her favorite drink and then put her in charge of carrying the 1.5 liter bottle through the store. That kept her occupied. I'm sure I spent an extra $50 having them with me but they enjoyed themselves so it was worth it. Megan never gets to grocery shop with me and she was full of requests. I mostly obliged but drew the line when she asked for string cheese. One package cost S$16 ($11.50 USD). I told her I would happily buy her string cheese in Southlake next week. My comment about expensive groceries hit home when Megan saw the S$400 bill at the register. Yes, I actually miss Wal-Mart.

We made a trip to Borders to pick out books and I found a few items for the long flight. Yesterday I took Megan and Elizabeth for manicures and pedicures as a treat for their great report cards. They acted like such little ladies at the salon and enjoyed watching Shrek during the visit. After seeing the pretty flowers painted on their toes, they both asked if they could visit again for their birthdays. I love having girls!
Pretty Little Toes

Thankfully I was able to sign up Megan and Elizabeth for a half-day art camp today and Emily is at school for the last time before we head home next week. I'm enjoying my quiet morning at home because it's going to be a rare event this summer. Now, can we have some sunshine please?!

No comments:

Post a Comment