Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sentosa Staycation

The Bali Ladies sent our friend Susan off in style with a night at the Sentosa Resort. Susan moves back to Brisbane next week so seven of us checked in at the hotel, spent the afternoon at the pool and enjoyed a girls' dinner for "Susan's Last Hurrah."

Unfortunately, the farewell party grew during the planning because my friend Karen found out last week that her family will be moving to Anchorage, Alaska, this summer. So, in the span of a month, two of my dear friends will be gone from the island. I haven't broken the news to Emily yet that her boyfriend Jacob is leaving.

Naturally I'm not happy these ladies are moving away but that's one of the downsides of expat life. You can count on everyone leaving at some point. Still, it's hard to imagine Singaporean life being as fun without them here.

In the meantime, it was a nice little getaway to the island next door to enjoy each other's company before we all go our separate ways in the summer and two ladies depart for good. Getting away from the city to enjoy poolside conversation and tropical drinks was the perfect way to say good-bye to Susan. And after hearing Susan's travel tales regarding swimwear, we couldn't help but laugh at the Russian woman wearing a thong at the pool who should have applied more sunscreen. I won't share that picture!

I'm so thankful I met Susan and her husband Dennis during our time here. They are a great couple and it will seem strange to not see them drinking beers when Brian and I walk around Robertson Quay. And I'll always think of Susan when I make a batch of Nanaimo bars...
Bali Ladies After Poolside Happy Hour
Suzy, Susan, Leanne, Kirsten, Karen, Mary and Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment