Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

I had the best Mother's Day I can remember and it's probably because my children are getting old enough to understand the significance of the day. Brian and the girls made me feel very special this year.

The festivities began on Friday when I attended Mother's Day Tea with Elizabeth's preschool class. I love hanging out in her class because the environment is so nurturing and I usually end up with at least three little bodies sitting in my lap while I'm there. Ms. Jennifer's classroom is the epitome of "warm and fuzzy."

Each day when Elizabeth came home from school last week, she would say, "I'm working on a special surprise for you and I can't spill the beans!" I didn't appreciate the double meaning until I saw the food. The kids had prepared chili and corn salsa for the moms and since they have a working kitchen in their classroom, they were able to make the food as a class. The Chinese teacher then led the preschoolers in a few songs and Elizabeth presented me with a flower pot she had decorated. It was a great afternoon at school.

On Saturday Brian and I took the girls to the grocery store and while I was off searching for an item, I returned to find Megan and her daddy speaking to the woman in the floral department. The next time I spotted Megan, she was holding a bundle that had been completely wrapped to hide its contents. She told me it was a surprise for the next day and she would keep it in her room overnight. It took some convincing, but Megan eventually realized it would be better to go ahead and put the flowers in water instead.

We made no special plans for Mother's Day, other than my specific requests to wake up when I felt like it and walk to Starbucks for coffee. Once those needs were met, I suggested we head to the Bird Park because Brian has never been there. The one time we tried to go as a family, rain ruined our plans. Well, it seems just uttering the words, "Bird Park," invites torrential rain because it happened again Sunday. We shifted gears and drove down to Vivocity Mall instead and enjoyed a delicious German lunch at Brotzeit. I also suspect Brian preferred sausages and beer to looking at birds! Judging from our empty plates, we now know we can travel to Germany with our children and they will eat just fine.

By mid-afternoon, the skies cleared up and I enjoyed an hour alone reading by the pool. Brian grilled hamburgers for dinner and I made a Chocolate Silk Pie for dessert. In addition to my flower pot from Elizabeth, I received a picture from Emily and a poem from Megan that read, "Mommy, I love you so much. Your cooking is really yummy. You're more gorgeous than a rose. I love it when you snuggle with me. Mommy you're the best!"

I'm so blessed to have three healthy daughters and while I missed spending the day with my mom, I enjoyed celebrating motherhood with Brian and our darling girls this year.
Celebrating with My Girls at Harbour Front

No comments:

Post a Comment