Monday, March 8, 2010

Driving Test

I have been studying the past couple weeks for the Basic Theory Test so I could become a legal driver here. I was a little overdue since I was supposed to obtain a local license within 12 months of arriving. So, I absolutely didn't want to chance failing the test. Since Brian passed the exam back in late November, he has been our designated driver whenever possible. In fact, he accuses me of inviting him to go places with me just so he will chauffeur me around. Totally false...I want him to park the car (just kidding, really).  


The Basic Theory Test is 50 multiple-choice questions administered on a touch-screen computer at a local traffic police office. To pass, you must get 45 correct. One would have a tough time passing without preparation. Take the road markings, for instance. Roads may have a solid white center line, double white center lines, a single yellow line along one side of the road, double yellow lines, yellow or white zig zag lines, or some combination of all the above. They all mean different things. Between the paint on the road and learning all the possible hand signs a traffic officer might use, my brain hasn't held this many trivial facts since my college days. Friends all suggested the best way to prepare for the test was to utilize online sample questions and I'm sure I saw all 400 of them at some point in the past week. 


Here are a few of my favorites:


What should you do when approaching speed bumps?
A. Speed up to pass the speed bumps faster.
B. Slow down.
C. Stop and push your car over the speed bumps carefully.


The light turns green, after 15 seconds, the vehicle in front of you still not move, you should ______
A. tap your horn to remind it to move off.
B. keep on waiting.
C. overtake it.


Should you drive if you feel giddy after taking medicine?
A. yes
B. no
C. as you wish

While many of the questions have common sense answers, it took some getting used to terminology like the "Keep Left" rule and Singapore's aversion to car horns. After visiting China, I appreciate that people don't use their horns constantly here but can you imagine waiting 15 seconds for a car in front of you to proceed before tapping your horn? It's also illegal to "horn" near a hospital unless to prevent an accident. I guess we don't want to disturb the patients?

I also memorized my fair share of numbers, like how many meters I can park away from fire hydrants, junctions and bus stops, as well as the fines and jail sentences for "drink driving" or using a mobile phone while driving. It seemed like a safe bet to always choose the option that included a stiff fine, a jail sentence or some combination of both. And if I hurt someone while driving drunk, I could be caned up to 6 times. One more reason to walk to the bars instead.

Thankfully I passed the test and will receive my new "licence" within 30 days. I'm relieved to be done with studying and I would recommend expats take the test sooner than I did. After all, it's nice to finally know the meaning behind all those painted lines on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment