Overall we had a nice first weekend in Singapore but when I woke up at 4:30 AGAIN yesterday morning (and so did the girls) I was in a sour mood. When we headed over to the apartment to put more stuff away, I spotted a Golden Retriever walking by the river and my eyes welled up with tears. I fought to keep my composure and went to work organizing our things at the apartment. Elizabeth wanted to watch her new birthday movie and as soon I saw our Southlake house, I couldn't help but cry. I was officially homesick. By 11am we were starving for lunch (after all, we had been up since 4:30!) and I was tempted to recommend the Golden Arches just to do SOMETHING that resembled home but instead we went to a Chinese place and amazingly we all enjoyed what we ordered. It turns out the Emily is quite a fan of rice so she'll enjoy the cuisine in this part of the world! It did wonders for my spirit.

Following lunch we took the hotel shuttle over to Orchard Road in search of bedding. It had the potential to be a disaster as I had no recommendations for where to shop for such things. Brian knew of one spot and when we walked into the store, it resembled a Kmart-ish Garden Ridge -- linens, rugs, crafts, artificial flowers - you get the idea. Not the place I would normally go for my sheets. Luckily Brian spotted another store across the mall that looked nicer and in the end, I hit the jackpot. Brian and the younger 2 girls took off without us, so Megan stayed with me, picked out her own bedding and assisted me in gathering what we needed. She appeard to be in her element, counting up quilts, pillows and such. We had so many puffy bags of items that one of the sales clerks helped us down to the mall entrance to catch a cab home. We couldn't help but laugh at ourselves as we certainly underestimated the "fluff" factor of our enormous purchase!


The rest of the day went much better. We played at the kiddie pool at the hotel, met up with the other American guests for a bit (Megan is really enjoying playing with her new friend Callie) and then went out for dinner and ice cream afterwards. To top it all off, the kids and I all slept until 7am today, the first time we've woken up with a light sky to greet us!
No comments:
Post a Comment