Today I took a trip with Elizabeth & Emily over to Tanglin Mall near Orchard Road to meet a fellow American expat I had never met but have been emailing with since late fall. Tiffany has been here for 2 years and has 4 children -- the youngest are 2 1/2 year old twin girls. Obviously she has been a great resource for me so far and I enjoyed finally meeting her. After a trip to Starbucks we hopped in her van and she drove us out to Thompson Road Flower Market. There were probably 8-9 vendors along a stretch selling beautiful flowers and plants. One place sold bunches of fresh cut orchids for S$10 (about $7 US). What a treat to see orchids growing everywhere I go. That's certainly not a common sight in Texas! I couldn't pass up buying an orchid plant so we'll see how long I can keep it alive. I came home with the orchid and another nice floor-size plant. If I'm lucky I'll remember how to get back there when I need a flower fix.
Megan's school week has gone well. She was thrilled that another girl started in her class yesterday and yet another today, meaning that she's not really the "new girl" anymore. She's made friends with a girl named Reese so I think she's getting comfortable in her new school.
IKEA delivered our purchase yesterday and I successfully assembled the armchair for Emily's room today so we were able to read books in it at bedtime. It's so cute that I might just move it back to Southlake with us. Tomorrow we get another big furniture delivery that should help our storage situation. We're awaiting a chest of drawers for the master bedroom, a console table, buffet, bookcase and Megan's desk. Perhaps the kitchen table won't be quite as messy once we get those pieces, but that's probably wishful thinking on my part.
Brian took care of the cable/internet/phone yesterday - yea! Cable and internet are working already but our phone won't be hooked up until next week. We opted to spend an extra $5/month for unlimited calls to the US so don't call us, we'll call you :)
I'm looking forward to the weekend ahead as I hope we can make it over to the Colonial district and check out the Raffles Hotel. Perhaps I'll splurge and try one of their overpriced Singapore Slings as well...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment