Tuesday, June 12, 2012

SG Bucket List: Food and Bicycles

Naturally we had a few items on our Singapore bucket list that we wanted to complete before the move. Brian was always good about keeping a list of local experiences we needed to have here and obviously we're running out of time. This past weekend we fulfilled two of them.

The first dealt with food. Thai food specifically. I know I've mentioned it before but Thai food has become my favorite Asian cuisine while living here and it doesn't hurt that we have a great little Thai spot just around the corner from our house that serves up delicious food and brings me a jug of iced lemon tea when I visit. What's not to love about that?

Jim Thompson restaurant at Dempsey Hill is a swankier Thai restaurant I had never visited and I wanted to get there before we moved away. Brian and I had planned to eat there on our anniversary but then he got sick. We finally went there for dinner Saturday night and while some people complain that it's overpriced Thai food, I understood that you pay for the atmosphere and it didn't disappoint. The service was great. The waitstaff was absolutely beautiful, adorned in traditional Thai silk gowns with sprays of orchids behind their ears. The restaurant could make more money if they sold some of the decor used in the place.
Grouper with Chili Lime Sauce, Pineapple Rice and Cashew Chicken

Our food was very good, with the pineapple rice being my favorite. The funny part of the evening is that we arrived at 7:30pm, ate a substantial amount of food and caught our taxi home at 8:40pm. I've had Burger King experiences that have taken that long in Singapore. We felt a little lame going back home at such an early hour but then we remembered that we're getting old...

It's good we retired early Saturday night because I needed all the energy I could muster Sunday. We took the girls out to East Coast Park so they could ride "a bicycle built for two." We frequently ride bikes out there but always bring our own. The girls see the multi-person bikes that people rent at the park and they wanted that experience. This is one of those situations, like on a rollercoaster, when you realize that having three children is more challenging. We rented one "bicycle for two," but then we needed to accommodate three more people. The solution? Rent a clown bike.

Brian didn't see why I called it a clown bike but the girls agreed with my take on the vehicle. Look at the picture and judge for yourself.
Can't you just imagine a dozen clowns riding this thing around at the circus while blowing horns?

The problem was that Brian took the tandem bike with one child, leaving me on the clown bike with two more children. Only Megan was tall enough to reach the pedals on the clown bike, so I was left with the task of powering the bike solo most of the time. Yes, Mom's legs were jello by the end of the expedition. But the girls had fun!

Brian and Elizabeth on the more practical "Bicycle Built for Two"

I'm glad we were able to knock out a couple bucket list items during our last weekend in Singers...

No comments:

Post a Comment