Friday, November 4, 2011

The Melbourne Cup

I attended my first Melbourne Cup event this week. The Melbourne Cup is Australia's version of the Kentucky Derby and takes place on the first Tuesday in November every year.

I went to the race event with some of the Bali ladies. The organizers offered a nice meal, free-flowing wine and champagne, and the opportunity to bet on the race that was shown on two big screens in the ballroom. After hearing about this event in Singapore in years past, I was at least knowledgable enough to realize I should wear some type of hat or fascinator to the luncheon. And I'm glad I wore one because I didn't spot a single woman without something attached to her head that day. I had flashbacks to the royal wedding while looking at some of the hats.
Beautiful Variety of Colors at the Event

There were 24 horses racing in the Melbourne Cup. I bet on three different horses and lost. But the horse race was just a small part of the day's entertainment. They did fashion shows, gave away door prizes and I began to wonder if offering unlimited wine and bubbly to Aussies over several hours might not be the best plan when a woman sitting at my table fell out of her chair during the dessert course. Generally speaking, Aussies are not dull people.

I'm glad I attended the Melbourne Cup event, although I think it's a one-time event for me. Unless I ever find myself in Melbourne in early November and can experience the real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment