So I was delighted when I received an invitation from my friend Julie to join her and a group of friends at the American Club for an Academy Awards Brunch. The club hosts the event annually and encourages guests to dress in cocktail attire to get into the spirit of the ceremony. I played along by putting on my little black dress at 8am and catching a taxi to the event. Why is it that the only days Brian works from home are the ones where I'm doing something unusual like leaving in cocktail attire on a Monday morning? Granted, I have an easy life here but I still felt the need to remind him that this was not a typical day for me!
While watching the awards ceremony on big screens in the club ballroom with a few hundred other expat women, we enjoyed a delicious brunch buffet complete with mimosas and Julie made it even more fun for our table by creating an Oscar Bingo game and awarding a prize to the person who most accurately predicted the winners. One memorable sight was the woman in attendance who dressed up as "The Black Swan" and those who had not seen the movie just thought she was dressed horribly.
It was a light-hearted, fun morning and it was definitely better to watch the show with friends to comment on dresses and discuss the movies. Of course, we all agreed we would need to head home first for a wardrobe change before completing our errands for the day because we all looked a little out of place once we exited the ballroom.
I love how living here sometimes adds a new twist to traditional events.
Not a Bad Way to Start the Week
No comments:
Post a Comment