Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mermaid in Training


Emily started swim lessons last month right before we left for New Zealand. Coach Bob, the same man who taught Elizabeth a couple years ago, has been coming to our pool Tuesday afternoons to teach Emily. As I had hoped, the child who hated getting her face wet has changed her tune and is improving with each passing week.
Looking for Fish

Emily's lesson starts right after Elizabeth arrives home from school, so Elizabeth quickly changes into her suit and plays in the water during her little sister's lesson. The first time Emily put her face into the water with goggles and saw Elizabeth swimming she wanted to keep going under water. Big sister Elizabeth has been a great assistant to the swim teacher.

Emily is excited about swimming and always eager for her lesson with "Sponge Bob" as she calls him. Yesterday I heard her talking to him during her lesson, saying, "I have an idea! How about I swim to you and then back to the wall?" Nice to know I'm not the only one subject to her negotiation skills. With her strong kick, I can foresee Emily being as fast in the water as she is on land. It's great to watch her work towards becoming an independent swimmer!

You can view a short video of Emily in action by clicking on the link below:

Enjoying a Well-Deserved Treat After Lesson

No comments:

Post a Comment