Friday, September 17, 2010

Girls Week

Brian has been in Houston all week for work so the girls and I have been on our own. He seldom travels these days so it's unusual for us to go so long without our favorite man around. I dreaded Brian's departure because he had to leave late Saturday night to be in Houston by Monday morning so it cut the weekend short. And I feared the girls would be unhappy campers with him away.

Thankfully they did much better than I expected. School and afternoon activities kept the house busy all week and the girls were able to Skype with their daddy one evening after dinner. It was sweet to watch Emily point to the computer screen and squeal, "That's Daddy!"

Megan lost her second top tooth at school Thursday but didn't want to give it to the tooth fairy until she could show it to her daddy. I'm sure he'll feel honored to see the popcorn kernel-sized tooth before the fairy gets it.
Hockey Player Smile :)

Of course, since Brian was going to Houston I sent along a wish list. It was fairly short this time after being home recently but I still requested a few grocery items:  salsa (of course!), dry mustard, ground cloves and my favorite protein bars. Brian was also able to have dinner with my sister and she gave him my ski clothes that undoubtedly are incredibly out of style but will at least keep me warm in Japan. 

I had Bunco and book club this week to keep me occupied in the evenings and managed to book some trips for this fall so I felt like I at least accomplished something during Brian's absence. But as well as the week went, I look forward to his return early tomorrow morning. Once upon a time I was good at being a single mother during the week and somewhat accustomed to that lifestyle. I'm no longer quite so adept because I'm completely worn out and sleep deprived after a week. And I have a helper here! I guess I'm out of practice and I'm okay with that.

So maybe it's good for Brian to travel every once in awhile so I won't forget that one of the biggest advantages of life in Singapore is the amount of time we get to spend together as a family.
Come Home, Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment