Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Food That Lives Up to Its Name

Singapore is celebrating the Chinese Mid-Autumn festival for the next couple weeks and we get to experience a beautiful display of lights and colors along the river for the occasion. This evening we walked down the river to get ice cream with the girls and along the way we passed several booths set up with Taiwanese food. As we approached one particular booth, a most awful scent greeted us. It was "Smelly Tofu" and the line for this particular food was quite long. I cannot begin to imagine what would tempt someone to eat such a foul smelling substance but we had to laugh that it was definitely named appropriately.

Brian commented that it smelled like cow manure as did another woman hurrying as fast as she could to get out of reach of the awful stench. I did a little research when we got home and read that others have described its odor as being similar to manure (yes, indeed!), garbage or rotten meat. Gosh, no wonder there was such a long line of people waiting for this delicacy. Apparently it gets its smell from the brine used to prepare it. I can only hope our durian-loving neighbors never bring smelly tofu home for dinner.

It's safe to say that I have added smelly tofu to the list of food I don't care to try during my Asian adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment