Friday, April 23, 2010

Boat Outing

Last weekend I joined Brian and two of his Accenture colleagues for a boat outing. He has been going out periodically with a group of guys from the office and I joined them to get a taste of the South China Sea boat experience.

We drove about 30 minutes to Punggol where we met our boat driver and departed from a nice little marina up there. I wasn't sure what to expect because I hadn't been out on the water much here and Brian's description of wake boarding in "the ship channel" didn't sound too enticing. I was surprised that for the most part, the surroundings looked like we were boating on a large river because we were in between mainland Singapore and a neighboring island. It's obviously a popular spot for the locals because I spotted at least 10 other boats around us that morning full of wake boarders.

Of course, we weren't boating on a river and the guys knew that because as soon as they fell, they were greeted with a nasty saltwater and oil-flavored mouthwash. And every now and then I would spot a huge container ship or catch a glimpse of a nearby refinery to remind me of our true location.

I had no interest in attempting to wake board because with the triathlon only 2 weeks away, the last thing I wanted to do was injure myself. After all, the past couple times Brian had gone out, he could barely walk the next day. So, I was the photographer and captured the entertainment instead.
Getting Some Air

Brian looked comfortable on the wake board and I loved watching him. He also tried something new - the wake skate. I renamed it the "white trash wake board." It looked like someone took a piece of plywood, added a grippy surface to one side for their feet and called it a wake skate. Think skateboard on water and you're close. The challenge is that there are no bindings, so there's nothing holding your feet to the board. Apparently people can do some amazing tricks on them and now Brian can continue to play with that new equipment.
Trying Out the Wake Skate

It was a beautiful morning for boating and I'm glad I tagged along. It reminded me of how I enjoy being out on the water with Brian. Of course, I'm looking forward to having some boat time back in Texas this summer as well. After all, it just wasn't the same without Steve driving the boat!

No comments:

Post a Comment