Wednesday, February 24, 2010

TODO Tradition

Shortly after hiring Delia, I suggested to Brian that we start taking one daughter out to dinner by herself each week. I even gave it a name - TODO night (Take One Daughter Out). I figured each child would love getting some special time with Mommy and Daddy and with three chatty girls at the dinner table each night, often we feel like referees. One year later, the tradition is still going strong. Once a week (barring work conflicts), we rotate who gets to have her special dinner out where she chooses the restaurant and dessert venues.

Since Chili's opened, Brian and I have spent many evenings there with either Megan or Elizabeth while they feast on their favorite Western food. After a few rough outings with Emily over the summer when we had to put her on probation, I'm happy to report that she is once again in good standing and able to participate. It's fun to take Emily out because she enjoys the local cuisine as well so we get a break from Chili's or a fast-food chain. Of course, it's no surprise that the girls usually want ice cream for dessert. But every now and then Elizabeth will throw us a curve ball and request something like carrot cake from Brewerkz. You never know where we might end up when the kids are in charge!

So, while it's great that Delia does the chores for me throughout the week, her presence in our home also makes it easy for us to do special things with each child. I can safely say that our entire family is thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment