We had a great visit with my mom during her 3 weeks here and on the go in Australia. I feel like she saw less of Singapore than our previous guests because we were busy preparing and celebrating Christmas and then going Down Under. Despite all the distractions, I think we still gave her a proper tour of the island and the important part is that she was able to spend plenty of time with her granddaughters!
We kicked off the visit with some foot reflexology because Mom's legs were sore from the long flight. She couldn't get over how much better they felt afterwards so perhaps we should make a habit of doing that after travel. Twist my arm! :)
The girls and I took her to the zoo and we had a fun few hours showing her our favorite animals there. As always, we were able to catch a few animal feedings and Mom commented on how neat it was that the monkeys had free reign at the zoo. Such lucky primates!
Mom and I walked down to the Singapore Flyer and rode that for the pretty views of the island around us. Mom was a little concerned when she first saw it since it looks like a gigantic Ferris Wheel but once she realized how spacious the capsules were she enjoyed the ride. One cannot appreciate how populated this country is until viewing it from the Flyer.
Of course we had to do some shopping as well. We upheld one of my favorite Knope holiday traditions. When growing up, my dad always took each of us kids out separately to pick out Christmas gifts for the rest of the family. I relished that time with him and choosing something special for everyone. So, Grandma and I took Megan Christmas shopping at Vivo City. We enjoyed our morning at the mall finding just right the gifts for Emily, Elizabeth and Daddy. Megan appreciated shopping with the ladies and she was excited that Brian could meet us for lunch afterwards.
We took Mom out for dinner a few times to share some of our favorite spots. We ate Thai food (this time we walked 5 minutes to the location across the river!), Chili Crab and, of course, we went to the Raffles Hotel for Singapore Slings. I love having a good excuse to indulge in the frothy pink cocktail :)
We visited Sentosa Island after Christmas and the entire family rode the Luge, always a favorite with the girls. And for Mom's final day here, we took the MRT to Chinatown and strolled down the streets lined with vendors with their "3 for $10" deals. Mom really enjoyed the colorful atmosphere there.
While it was hard to say good-bye, I felt good knowing that the girls will see Grandma when we head home for a visit in June. If we made it a whole year between visits, certainly 5 months will just fly by, right? I'm blessed to have a healthy mother who could travel across the world to spend Christmas with us and explore Australia along the way. Thanks for coming, Mom!
No comments:
Post a Comment