Wednesday, May 6, 2009

No Rest for the Weary

I'm wrapping up Day 4 of my single mom week and so far my only issue is that I can't seem to get a decent night's sleep. I expect to not sleep as soundly with Brian away but this is getting ridiculous. Night 1 - we had a brief storm in the middle of the night and then I kept waking up, anticipating the early 6am alarm to get Megan ready for school. Brian normally does the early bird routine so I'll be sure to shower him with appreciation when he returns! I've recently started getting up with Megan once or twice each week when Brian does longer workouts for his triathlon training but I'm not used to it every day. I'm pretty sure I dozed off for a few minutes during the afternoon Disney movie...

Night 2 - I retired to my room earlier than usual, expecting to read for a little while and drift off to dream. Instead, I was subjected to the sounds of a repair man outside on the terrace. Remember how we have water storage tanks next to our spa? Well, someone decided that 10pm would be the perfect time for repairs. I turned up the fan on the a/c unit in our bedroom to drown out the noise of bolts being tightened with a socket wrench. It worked, until 11:20pm when the hammering started. I suppose I should have called security to complain but that would have taken too much time away from sleep. Instead I marched out in my pajamas and informed him that he was hammering right next to my bedroom and could he PLEASE complete his work the following morning? He was apologetic and stopped immediately. The sight of a crazed lady in her pajamas likely frightened him.

Night 3 - I was exhausted and fell asleep at 10pm, only to hear thunderstorms again at 3am. They seemed to last off and on until the 6am alarm. So, by this point I'm beyond tired. I decide to take advantage of nap time today to catch an hour of precious sleep. About 15 minutes into resting, the fire alarms in our building sound and after calling security to confirm that it's a false alarm, they continued to sound sporadically over the next 30 minutes. I'm amazed that Emily slept through it all. Too bad her mom did not! It would almost be comical, except that I'm too sleep deprived to see the humor. Let's hope Night 4 provides some ZZZZ....

No comments:

Post a Comment