Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Grocery Store Boycott

I'm on a mission this week. My goal is to avoid shopping at a grocery store all week. I'm sure you're thinking that it's a fairly simple task but my friends who live here know how daunting a challenge this becomes. Last week I grocery shopped at least 3 times and while I'd like to claim that's unusual, sadly it's the norm. Generally I end up shopping at 3 different stores to find the food I need for the week. And the small refrigerator and freezer make it difficult to stock up on anything perishable. Of course, if I planned meals better, it would help but the odds are still not in my favor.

So, I implemented new procedures this week. I planned my dinners for the week. Then I shopped for groceries online for the first time Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately I wasn't prepared to wait until Tuesday for delivery, so Monday's pantry was a bit bare! My first attempt went well. There were only a few items I couldn't get and everything arrived in good condition. Success!

This morning I went to the wet market after Pilates (this doesn't count as a grocery store). I bought vegetables, fruit and chicken. I was disappointed that they were out of broccoli and didn't have jalapeno peppers this week but we'll survive because...

I can send Delia to the grocery store! She took Elizabeth this afternoon for a quick trip to get the few items I couldn't find elsewhere. I don't mind having her go when it's for a few things but it's not practical to ask her to shop for the bulk of our groceries because 1) I like to pick things out myself and 2) the quantity is too much for her to carry home.

Last week's excitement was that I redeemed my 120 grocery store stickers for a nice grill pan and large stock pot. The grill pan leaves lines on my sandwiches that make me miss my panini maker a little less and I didn't bring my stock pot from home so it was nice to add that piece to the kitchen. Now that the cookware promotion is finished, I wonder what I'll be collecting stickers for next -- knives, maybe? I'll have to visit the store to see what they will tempt me with next time. But that will have to wait for next week because, for now, I'm staying away...

No comments:

Post a Comment