Sunday, January 22, 2012

Prosperity Meals

It's my favorite time of year in Singapore - Chinese New Year. From the beautiful weather to the amazing decorations around town, Singapore is at its finest during the Lunar New Year celebration.

I'm always eager to see the fast food promotions that arrive for the holiday, mostly because I tend to find them fairly repulsive. McDonalds has offered the same "Prosperity Burger" every year. The first year I thought the McRib was back but upon further inspection, I discovered they had succeeded in creating bizarre shapes with beef as well. Here's a glimpse:
"Juicy, tender beef, dipped in spicy black pepper sauce. Then topped with fresh onions for that festive, feisty bite. Add Twister Fries, and it's a feast with a golden twist."

I reject the feisty beef but at least the fries look good. Maybe I'll be just a little prosperous this year...

As wrong as the McPepper Beef sandwich looks, Pizza Hut manages to make their holiday pizza look worse each year. Check out this year's prosperity pizza:

Here's how they describe the Fortune Bags Pizza: "Pairs of Money Bags sit on every slice made with our signature Pan Pizza Crust, topped with a delicious oriental sauce, diced BBQ chicken, sliced mushrooms, pineapple chunks, and capped with a sprinkling of chicken floss. With all these great flavours, your taste buds are in for a treat this Lunar New Year." 

Cheese pizza has never looked so good.

While I may not enjoy the fast food holiday specials, I think it's cool that American companies tailor their  menus for Chinese New Year. And when you read the food descriptions, the main themes of the holiday become more apparent. Prosperity. Gold. Money. Fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment