Friday, December 23, 2011

FedEx Delivers...Eventually

From the files of "Frustrating Days in Asia:"

My brother and sister-in-law sent us Christmas gifts in mid-December and my mom's friend gets a substantial discount with FedEx so they opted to mail it that way. I received a note from my mom that the package would arrive on Monday, December 19.

When FedEx says a package will arrive on a particular day, they're true to their word. When the box did NOT arrive that day, I began to wonder.

On Tuesday, I received a call from a FedEx employee here in Singapore. Here's how the conversation went:

FedEx Lady: "Hello, I have a package addressed to you and I need more details on the contents inside the box before it can clear Customs."

Me: "What does the packing slip say the box contains?"

FedEx Lady: "It contains chips, coffee, and children's items. We need to know more about the chips and coffee."

Me: "Well, please keep in mind that this box is a gift to my family so I didn't pack the box. But I would guess that the 'chips' are Fritos Corn Chips and the 'coffee' is Texas Pecan coffee from Central Market. Does that help?"

FedEx Lady: "Well, I need you to have the sender contact me to provide further details on the contents in this box."

Me: "It's 1 in the morning in Texas right now so I don't think she'll be able to call you about the box. What more information do you need than what I just provided?"

FedEx Lady: "We just really need more details." ????

Me: "Then why don't you just open the box and spill out the contents? Will that get it through Customs faster?" Sure, I want my kids to get their gifts but at this point, I also know that there's coffee and quite likely some Fritos with my name on them!

FedEx Lady: "Are you okay with us opening the box?"

Me: "If that is what it takes, then open it up and get it delivered to me."

Tuesday and Wednesday pass with no sight of the box. By Thursday morning I'm beginning to wonder if the Customs people are enjoying some really good coffee and Fritos at work. We finally received the package late Thursday afternoon. The Fritos weren't opened but the coffee had definitely been tampered with at Customs.

This experience served as a good reminder me that I will have frustrating days here. I will also frustrating days when I move back to Texas someday. They just look different here. Also, if you send anything to us over here, fight the instinct to give full disclosure on the packing slip. "Children's Gifts" works well.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying Fritos and Ranch dip daily and savoring my delicious coffee. They were worth the wait. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment