Since the zoo is one of our favorite outings, Emily knew exactly what she wanted to do and we started the trip with a tram ride that took us around all the zoo highlights. After getting quick glimpses of the animals, we ate a picnic lunch and then took time to visit some animals up close. Emily wanted to see the white tigers and I happily obliged because they are my favorite.
The Singapore Zoo only has white tigers and I love their natural-looking habitat. Until visiting our local zoo, I had no idea that tigers liked water so I was surprised the first time I spotted them submerged in shoulder-deep water. Of course, I can completely relate to their desire to stay cool in the tropics. Normally we see the tigers early afternoon right around their feeding time, so they tend to be alert while anticipating the tasty chunks of meat they are fed each day.
On this particular visit, a couple of the tigers were in the water and Emily was mesmerized watching them gracefully navigate their habitat. I never leave the zoo without taking a picture of these beautiful cats and I was pleased to capture one in the water that day.
After leaving the tigers and walking towards the giraffes, Emily kept mentioning she wanted to see the cats behind the glass. I didn't understand what she was referring to until we approached the cheetah habitat. She apparently had seen it during the tram ride and wanted further inspection of another powerful cat.
There were a few cheetahs lounging in the shade while one was pacing back and forth in front of the glass. Emily eagerly approached the glass to get a close look at the spotted cat and watched its movements for a few minutes before it apparently became interested in her as well. While doing its rounds through the habitat, the cheetah began walking straight towards where we were standing, then suddenly stopped, locked eyes on Emily and in a split second pounced onto the glass between them. Everyone gasped and stepped back, alarmed by what they had just witnessed. Emily's reaction was priceless. She was quiet for a moment and then began to giggle, saying, "That silly cheetah. He wanted me for lunch!"
I can't say I was surprised by her response. She stood there a few more minutes while I said a silent prayer of thanks that the glass barrier did its job.
No comments:
Post a Comment