Saturday, May 7, 2011

Any Excuse for a Fiesta

We celebrated Cinco de Mayo this week with a day full of Mexican food and beverage. My friend Kirsten invited the Bali Ladies to her house for a potluck lunch and fixed enchiladas for the occasion. While the Aussies in the group probably couldn't have cared less about the tradition, I happily prepared guacamole, salsa and some heart-unhealthy jalapeno cheese squares to share with the group. When I felt like I had eaten bricks the rest of the afternoon, I realized my body isn't accustomed to such a high volume of cheese in my diet anymore.

In the evening Brian and I went out with a few friends to Muchos restaurant at Clark Quay because we have found it to be the "least worst" of the Mexican places here. While the food was pretty good, the margaritas were the most awful to date in Singapore. Usually they taste like watered down lime juice but the only discernible flavor was salt. I quickly switched to the safe option of Corona instead! FYI:  Chili's is the only restaurant here that consistently makes good 'ritas.

Following dinner we strolled around the corner to visit Mulligan's Irish Pub and introduced a few people to our friend Jai. Only in Asia could we get away with concluding our Mexican celebration by drinking Irish beers. 

While walking home at the end of a fun evening, Brian and I discussed that back in Texas I might have fixed tacos for dinner on May 5th and that would have been the extent of our observance of the day. Somehow it felt more imperative to celebrate over here, even if we had to endure less than spectacular food and drink to make it happen. It's always nice to find a good excuse for a Thursday fiesta!
Cinco de Mayo - From Mexico to Ireland



No comments:

Post a Comment