Sunday, November 29, 2009

'Tis the Season

What do you get when you mix Swedish, Chinese and Arab tastes? A pretty good-looking Christmas tree! Since we didn't bring a single Christmas decoration with us from home, I set out earlier this week to IKEA in search of affordable ornaments. I had good luck there and then Brian and I went to Tang's (department store) on Orchard Road Friday afternoon because a friend recommended that store. It did not disappoint as we came home with 6 large bags of ornaments. Months ago I found some beautiful holiday ribbon while shopping on Arab Street so I made a makeshift tree-topper out of it and will enjoy using the rest for accents around the condo.

Saturday morning we assembled the artificial tree we bought from a departing US expat family a few months ago. We had been storing the 9-foot prelit tree under Elizabeth's bed and given that the tree was purchased in the States, I was concerned the voltage issue would result in frustrating darkness. Thankfully all it took was a serious converter to illuminate the tree and our family enjoyed decorating it while listening to holiday music. It is our first fake tree and I can appreciate the advantages of going artificial. Even Brian had to admit that the process was much easier this year.

What I find strange about the tree is that it's perfect. I'm accustomed to live trees that are beautiful, fragrant, messy and usually need to be rotated until you find the best side. No issue with that this year. The other odd aspect is that when I look at the tree, it's pretty but it really doesn't look like our tree. It doesn't hold those sentimental ornaments I love seeing each year -- the ones my mom gave me from my childhood, the ones Brian and I bought while living in Europe, our Aggie Bonfire ornament, Tanner's cute puppy ornaments and the ones I have bought in recent years for each of the girls. Our tree looks more like a store display instead of our family tree. Didn't I just write about dealing with all kinds of emotions during the holidays? Well, here we go again...

On a brighter note, having the tree in our home is helping me get into the holiday spirit. Christmas shopping hasn't been at the top of my mind when I'm still swimming each day and wearing shorts. Thankfully Singapore gets all glitzy for the holiday season so that is fun to see. Orchard Road is decked out with lights and we have spent a few nights walking over there with the girls enjoying the sights. Of course, the majority of Singaporeans will not celebrate Christmas but they're more than happy to capitalize on the commercial aspect of the holiday. The good news there is that the malls shouldn't be more crowded than usual in the next few weeks. The challenge is that stores here don't have the same return policies as in the States. At most places, I can only exchange items for 7 days after purchase, so Christmas shopping becomes higher risk.

Festive Lights on Orchard Road

I'm trying my best to warm up to the holiday season. The Rudolph and Grinch DVDs are out of storage and festive music will play daily in our home. Elizabeth knows that it's "birthday season" for her and in less than 3 weeks, my mom will arrive. That will be the best gift of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment