It's always exciting to find a favorite food item at the neighborhood grocery store. In the past, canned pumpkin, graham crackers, wrapped caramels, grape jelly and Brianna's Caesar salad dressing have all been treasures in the shopping cart. I've also learned to buy those items in bulk when I see them because you never know when they'll return. Case in point: those several cans of pumpkin were a good investment because we're heading into the time of year when I will want them and I haven't seen them lately.
Yesterday while waiting at the deli I spotted a food I NEVER expected to see in Singapore. I noticed a display of Frito-Lay variety packs like you would put in a child's lunchbox. That in itself wasn't exciting as we get Cheetos, Doritos, Lays, etc. Except that when studying it more closely, I noticed that the variety pack included 3 bags of Fritos. We don't get Fritos here and some of our guests have brought bags with them because they're one of Brian's and my favorite chips. So I bought 21 little bags of chips to get those precious Fritos. I couldn't exactly stock up on them either because I don't have room in my house for dozens of other chips just to get one particular kind. When I ran into Megan's teacher in the store and shared my big find of the day, she was headed to the deli area to claim some as well. After all, it's important for expats to share these successes with each other. And it makes me feel a little less pathetic when someone else is as thrilled as me about buying corn chips in Asia. As I've mentioned before, expat life does strange things to people...
Sunday, November 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment