Monday, October 12, 2009

Not Getting Any Younger

I celebrated my birthday this week and followed the Knope family tradition of stretching the festivities into more of a "long weekend" format. Of course, the 13-hour time difference between here and home made it easy to pull that off -- I celebrated across time zones :)

The week started off rough when I got sick Tuesday afternoon with symptoms that could only be described as feeling like I had been hit by a truck. Imagine full sinus distress combined with an aching body and fever. Thank goodness for Delia's presence in our home Wednesday because she ran the household and took Emily to gym class while I slept most of the day. Thankfully I began feeling better that evening and by Thursday morning, I experienced a birthday miracle because I felt well enough to enjoy the day.

Karen invited me to go shopping in the afternoon so we drove to Paragon mall in search of clothing for our Beijing trip next month. My cold weather gear up to this point consisted of a few pairs of jeans, one long-sleeved shirt, one pair of socks (and I haven't worn them in 10 months) and no coat. I made good progress on staying warm for the trip and I indulged in buying the most impractical item EVER in Singapore - a winter coat. It is red and classic and it wanted to come home with me. Let's just hope it's not unseasonably warm because those 4 days will likely be my only chance to wear jeans and my pretty red coat in the next year!

After shopping, I pampered myself with a foot massage at Feetness before getting the girls from the school bus. Brian brought home a bouquet of roses that were so beautiful we wondered if they were real and after the girls went to bed, we met Karen and Jason, my friend Brooke and some friends from our condo complex over at the Bungy Bar to listen to Jai's music. It was a great evening and I especially enjoyed Karen and Jai leading the bar in singing Happy Birthday to me.

Friday night we met some of my Bali friends at Brussels Sprouts, a Belgian restaurant across the river from our condo. It's known for mussels and clams with never-ending french fries but it's the selection of Belgian beer that draws us there. I was delighted with gifts of flowers and wine and Karen baked a delicious chocolate cake for me. I had a great time and I didn't feel guilty at all about consuming Chimay beer, onion rings, french fries and cake and calling that "dinner." They're such a great group of friends and I can always count on my face hurting from laughter when I'm with them :)


Dining with the Hunts, Vores, Scotts and O'Sheas

My dear husband treated me to birthday dinner Saturday night. I guess I didn't want to travel far this year because I chose Les Bouchons, which is two doors down from Brussels Sprouts. The main attraction is "Steak Frites" and we enjoyed steaks and wine on the patio by the river, while recalling that we finalized the decision to move to Singapore on my birthday last year. Vicki had watched the girls while Brian and I went out for dinner and discussed the opportunity we had been considering for weeks. After dinner, Brian called the senior executive on the project to accept the job. I remember not sleeping much that night, feeling excited and terrified all at the same time.

I felt blessed as I celebrated my birthday in Singapore this year. We made the right decision and I am happy I shared my special day (or days!) with my family and friends. Of course, I also enjoyed talking to my mom and listening as she recalled the beautiful fall day she brought me home from the hospital. And what a great surprise to receive a call from my brother John and his wife Nikki! Thank you to everyone who sent sweet birthday messages and gifts across the ocean. I had a wonderful birthday and I'm eager to discover what this year holds...

No comments:

Post a Comment