Sunday, April 19, 2009

Tired Triathlete

Brian participated in a sprint triathlon this morning and while we don't have his official results yet, I can safely report that he did well! Over 1,000 people participated in this event. Brian swam 750 meters, cycled 20k and finished with a 5k run. From my point of view, just finishing is cause for celebration!

Triathlons appear to be more popular in this part of the world. I'm sure it's because the weather makes it easy to train so it seems that you could participate in one each month if you desire. As I expected, we found a large number of expats there - probably almost half the athletes.

It was Brian's first time to swim in salt water and he luckily made it through without encountering any jelly fish. Honestly, I breathed a sigh of relief when he exited the water because swimming among so many people can be dangerous. I saw one poor fellow get fished out of the sea within the first 200 meters.

I asked Delia to work this morning so I could watch the event and I'm glad I did because it was more entertaining than I expected. With three different sports to watch, there is plenty of action and the transitions from one to the next are fun to see. I saw the winner cross the finish line at just under 1 hour 5 minutes. Incredible. Brian's time was roughly 1 hour 30 minutes so he held his own just fine! I'm proud of him for completing the event and never appearing to look like he was about to fall over :) Now he starts his training for an Olympic-length triathlon taking place in August.
Since Brian was a bit tired from his morning workout, we didn't venture out this afternoon. For dinner, we headed to Tony Roma's which was a big hit with Miss Elizabeth, who loves "meat on a bone." I think that of all the American food chains we've visited so far, it's one of the better options.

With Megan down with a fever the past 4 days and Brian preparing for his race, we had a quiet weekend around here. Brian and I enjoyed a German meal at a Raffles City place called Brotzeit. The food was good and the beer selection was even better. We'll definitely return at some point. I also managed to finally get a manicure and pedicure Saturday afternoon, so that was a nice treat.

Megan finally kicked her fever so she'll head back to school in the morning and this week we're looking forward to Aggie Muster Tuesday evening and then I leave for my girls' trip to Bali Thursday night. I can hardly wait to report on that adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment