Wednesday, April 15, 2009

So far, so good

After a rocky few days last week, I'm happy to report that this week is progressing smoothly for the Deans of Singapore. I had the feeling last week that forces were conspiring against everything I attempted to accomplish. The unused return portion of our plane tickets looked pretty good to me by Thursday. It's no wonder that I felt the need to drink a few beers Friday night but after a long weekend attitude adjustment, my outlook is now rosier.

The low point of our week was when Elizabeth told us that she did not want to go to school anymore, after several days of exhibiting strange behavior and just not acting like herself. It seems that the school environment didn't agree with our little girl and we pulled her out of the preschool on Thursday. While I was very angry about the final incident that convinced us of this path, I am now thankful that we are no longer questioning where to place Elizabeth in the fall. After experimenting with a local school, we are certain that she will attend the afternoon preschool program at SAS starting in August. When we told her about these plans, she literally jumped up and down and cheered.

Suddenly I find myself with 2 girls at home with me all day long instead of one. Just when I thought I had a good routine going...oh well, we'll manage for a few months if it means that Elizabeth will be a happy girl once again. I'd like to sign her up for music and art classes in the meantime, but since every other 3 year old in Singapore is in school every day, they don't offer much for her age range except in late afternoon hours. This doesn't really work since that's the only time of day we see Megan! At the very least, I'm planning to get her into swim lessons because she seems ready for it.

Speaking of swimming, Megan started swim classes as part of her PE program at school today. She was thrilled that she would get to swim at school and she felt very cool wearing a swim suit and flip flops as part of her uniform. I'm curious to see what they teach our little mermaid in the next several weeks.

The playgroup for Emily's age that I'm coordinating through the American Women's Association had our first official play date today. We intended to go to the Botanic Gardens but when that got rained out, we improvised and ended up at a nice indoor playground at the Forum Shops on Orchard Road. This is when I'm glad I'm meeting new people because with 200 shopping malls, how long would I have lived here before finding that spot on my own? There are only 3 children in the group so far but I have a feeling we'll expand once we meet more moms on the island.

We're also eagerly awaiting packages of goodies from the US and any time it seems they should have arrived already, I start to get a little nervous about the odds of receiving them. I do find it humorous that the Singapore postal system guarantees next day delivery when you mail anywhere within the country. It sounds impressive until you stop and consider that it only takes 45 minutes to drive across the entire country!

I made my weekly trip to the wet market early this morning and had a full car this time. My friend Karen came along and so did Delia with the girls. Delia fixed me a delicious lunch on Monday with stir-fry vegetables and some kind of Filipino roast pork and we started talking about traditional dishes that she can prepare. So, I took her along to the market to pick out some new vegetables to cook for us. She seemed pleased that I would be willing to try some Filipino food and I told her that since she let me buy her a Subway sandwich recently, it seemed only fair to reciprocate! She's fixing me some of this exotic food tomorrow so I'll report on that later...

I may have mentioned in a previous blog that Brian recently went wake boarding on the East coast with some fellow Accenture employees. He had a great time and wants to organize another trip soon. One of the guys in the boat got a great picture of him so I'll share it with you so you can see that while he's in Singapore to work, Brian's having some fun as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment