Monday, March 9, 2009

Happy Days

It was a good week for the Deans of Singapore. Now that we've adjusted to Delia's presence in our home and the household is running smoothly, it's opening up a whole new world for me. I now have the freedom to spend time outside the house without worries about nap times and chores. The way the calendar worked out this week, I felt like a social butterfly!

Tuesday morning I went to a coffee with other moms in Megan's class. I enjoyed meeting them and hearing about volunteer opportunities for the remainder of the year. I signed up to be the VIP this Thursday, which means that I'll lead the class in an activity that the teacher sets up for me. Hopefully Megan will enjoy the surprise of my joining her at school. The other moms at the coffee were helpful in letting me know that if I want to stay and eat lunch with the class, I should avoid eating the primary school food and instead, head over to the high school cafeteria where I can pick up tastier food, such as a Subway sandwich. Good info to have! Following the coffee, I picked up Elizabeth and Emily from home and took a taxi to meet Brian for lunch. The girls were excited to see Daddy "at work" so that was a fun treat.


Tuesday evening we took Elizabeth out for dinner with just Mommy and Daddy to kick off our TODO (Take One Daughter Out) night. The idea is that one night during the school week, we'll take turns taking one of the girls out for dinner at a restaurant of her choice so we can spend time with each one. With Elizabeth getting chattier by the week, our dinners at home have become a referee session of how long Megan can talk before Elizabeth gets a turn, etc. This seemed like a good way to give everyone some extra attention. Well, it's no surprise that Elizabeth chose to eat at McDonalds and she thoroughly enjoyed her special evening out.




Wednesday I picked up Rachel and we made our regular trip to the Farrer Road market for chicken and produce. I took a couple pictures while at the market just to give you a peek at one the spots where I'm buying food these days. The chicken folks were kind enough to give me a photo op with a couple of their poultry friends. I bought chicken breasts as usual and also bought a whole chicken to roast. I was happy that he chopped the head and feet off for me before bringing it home :) Following our shopping trip, we picked up Sarah and I drove them back to our place for a swim play date with Emily and me. Thank goodness we finally had a few nice days for swimming in between all the rain lately.

That evening we took Megan out by herself because we wanted to buy a dress for our niece Marie's birthday and needed a model for sizing. Megan picked out a pretty dress for her cousin that is very similar to one that Brian bought for Elizabeth recently. Elizabeth wore her dress Sunday and ended up smiling for plenty of cameras around town. I think it's the blond hair coupled with the Asian dress that catches people's attention.

On Thursday I had lunch with the 7 other ladies going on the Bali trip next month. They seem like a fun group of women so it was nice to meet them before our long weekend together. The entire group is somehow connected to Fraser Place, the hotel where we stayed when we first arrived. I met Rachel and family on Day 1 after we landed and she had stayed there last summer while visiting Singapore, which is where she became friends with a couple of the ladies now traveling to Bali together. I'm feeling particularly thankful that we spent a few days there before moving into our apartment!

After enjoying a lazy Friday around the house, we ended up staying close to home Saturday because it rained every 3 hours throughout the day. Luckily we were able to fit in some after-lunch swimming with Megan and Elizabeth in between rains. That evening we went out with Rachel and Matt to a restaurant called Graze in Rochester Park. It's basically a group of houses converted into restaurants on a hilly stretch of road, so the atmosphere was nice. We enjoyed a "western" meal and I finally had the steak I've been craving for weeks.

We were blessed with beautiful weather Sunday so we checked another attraction off Megan's Singapore to-do list. We rode the Singapore Flyer, the world's largest observation wheel (think gigantic ferris wheel). I wasn't expecting to have a capsule to ourselves so it was a pleasant surprise that the girls could walk around and view the city during the 30-minute ride. It certainly offers a different perspective of Singapore. I was surprised at how many ships were in the channel -- they're not kidding when they say it's a major port! I was also amazed at how many high-rise buildings are packed onto the island. We all enjoyed the ride and it would be fun to do again with guests.

After our flyer ride, we ate lunch and walked along the river back to our home. We came across an ice cream sandwich stand where the guy slices ice cream and sticks it between a slice of colored bread (it's likely sweeter than your average bread). Brian talked about these after being over here last fall so now we finally know what he was talking about. Of course, the girls didn't want bread with their ice cream so they had theirs in cups and I opted for ice cream between wafers. I can't understand how Brian, who doesn't like cake and ice cream together (because the ice cream will make his cake soggy), would like sandwich bread wrapped around his ice cream! What a unique man...

One reason I neglected to blog much last week is because I spent my free time every evening looking at vacation options for Brian's and my June getaway. I'm thrilled that we finalized our plans last night and will be traveling to the Maldives for 4 days while Gran is here with the girls. Finding the right resort was challenging because each hotel takes up an entire island. So, you had better like all aspects of the accommodations since you can't very easily go to the place down the road for meals and beach-going. We are staying on an island called Naladhu and I hope that it's as beautiful in person as it looks on my computer screen!

One morning this week I came downstairs after showering to find my coffee ready for me (like it is every day now). My newspaper was sitting on the table (I don't have to get it out of the mailbox in the lobby anymore). I asked for scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast. While I'm reading the paper and eating my eggs, I noticed that I was actually eating my food without interruption. Someone else was refilling cereal bowls and bringing in yogurt when the girls wanted more food. At that moment, I realized that I'm getting seriously spoiled with this lifestyle and I had better enjoy it while it lasts...

No comments:

Post a Comment