While everything initially went smoothly during our move to Singapore, our family is now dealing with the sudden, devastating loss of our loyal furry companion. The decision to leave Tanner with Brian's sister back in Texas was not an easy one but we felt we were doing what was best for him. Singapore's mandatory 30-day quarantine (not to mention the 20-hour flight) would be so stressful on him that it didn't seem worth the risk when we only planned to be here 18 months.
I'm sad to report that Tanner passed away earlier today after suddenly becoming ill. Lisa had taken him to the vet a couple days ago because he started vomiting and couldn't keep his food down. They were monitoring him when I spoke to the vet late last night here and he was concerned that Tanner might have pancreatic cancer. Within a couple hours, Tanner passed away on his own at the vet clinic. An autopsy did indeed find a tumor that caused him to go downhill so quickly.
We are in a state of shock today. Tanner would have turned 8 next month and he still had a lot of spunk in him. I missed him terribly here in Singapore and kept telling myself it was in his best interest to let him stay in Texas to be reunited with us next summer. I really didn't think he would be gone before we made it home. Of course, a small part of me feared that this would happen and he would think we had left him for good. My worst fears have now come true.
He was such a good dog. I can't emphasize enough what a faithful companion he was for our family. He had a great personality and his eyes held so many expressions - he rolled his eyes at you as if to say, "Oh, man, here we go again." He was gentle, affectionate and always wanted to be wherever we were. He would bark like crazy if he was the only one outside and whine if we left him inside alone. He wanted to be with us.
I think his happiest times were spent outdoors -- walking next to the stroller or running next to Brian or me on a jog. He liked to roll around in the front yard and eat acorns and sticks. And he loved the lake. We joked that he would drown himself someday by continuing to fetch the toy from the lake until he couldn't swim any longer.
When we moved to Southlake, we trained Tanner to use the side yard away from the play set and pool for his doggy business. He learned that command quickly as he was a pretty smart dog. But, he knew the grass was nicer on the forbidden side of the yard and until his final days at our home, if someone else other than his masters let him out, he would pause and look back through the window to see if he could get away with using the "nice grass." When he saw them watching, he'd mope into his yard like he knew he should.
He also held a few things with such high regard that he couldn't care less what the punishment was for misbehaving. He loved towels, particularly the ones we used to bathe him. He wanted to "love" the towels, if you know what I mean. His other passion was meat, particularly sausage. My mom occasionally bought sausage from her hometown in Wisconsin and when we would have it at our house, he was focused on getting his chops around a slice or two. The taste was apparently worth whatever discipline he received afterwards.When I spoke to the vet today after Tanner died, the doctor, who had only known him for a couple months, said, "He was a good 'ol dog. I loved that dog. He had so much personality." It meant a great deal to me to hear him say that in a genuine way because I felt Tanner must have received loving care during his final days. And it makes me smile that other people were able to appreciate what we loved about Tanner.
So I sit here on a rainy afternoon in Singapore with tears flowing down my cheeks because I'll never see those big brown eyes again. I'll never receive another wet Tanner kiss. I'll never see him used as a pillow by our girls. It simply breaks my heart. While I am thankful that he didn't linger on and suffer, as Brian and I lay in bed last night talking about our sick dog, he summed it up perfectly when he said, "I don't want Tanner to die in a vet clinic in Brownwood, Texas, all alone. He's such a good dog. He deserves better than this." We prayed that if he was so ill that he wouldn't make it, that he would go quickly without pain. And just like Tanner has always done, he pleased us at the end. 

Oh Mary, I am just sick about this. When I saw your post on FB last night, I was in tears. I have been in tears off and on for you since then. Tanner was such an amazing dog. He was always so sweet and lovable. If Mike and I ever have a dog, we would want it to be just like Tanner. My thoughts and prayers are with you that God comfort you during this difficult time. I am so, so sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteOh, sweet freind. I cry with you. I miss him too. Your love and opinion about Tanner's beautiful personality is not bias as his owners. He was a down-right incredible canine. I remember how our girls loved on him when they were 1 & 2...he just ate up every ounce of attention. I love you!
ReplyDeleteTanner was a wonderful addition to our family, even if it was only for a few months. We enjoyed the time we had with him and we miss him. I'm so sorry it ended this way.
ReplyDeleteMary - I've been reading your guys blog along the way and happened to come across this post. I'm sorry to hear about your dog's passing.
ReplyDeleteGlad all is well in Singapore - Vince Ackerman (We met many moons ago when Brian and I were on the TI project together 97/98?)