Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Super Bowl Monday

I'm happy to report that my streak of watching every Super Bowl in memory is still intact! After getting Megan on the bus as usual at 6:40am, we walked a couple minutes down the river to Brewerkz where we had made a reservation to watch the game on their patio. We hired a sitter for Elizabeth and Emily since they undoubtedly would not have been as interested in watching it as we were.
Of course, it's the first time I've watched football at 7am on a Monday and it was comical to see the variety of food consumed at such a strange sports-watching hour. They offered pitchers of bloody Marys (no thanks) so we opted for coffee. At one table, you might see a guy eating an omelet while his friend was nibbling on buffalo wings. Nachos sitting next to scrambled eggs, etc. I think I counted 3 women, including myself, among a sea of white men. Not too many Asians to be found in this crowd! I'm sure the locals on their way to work found it odd to see such a crowd at a bar at that early hour.

I have to confess that while I talked a good game about cheering for the Steelers, I switched sides when the game started and couldn't help but pull for the underdog Cardinals. Perhaps it was something deep inside my Cowboys-loving self that revolted against the idea. Or maybe it was the somewhat obnoxious Steelers fan sitting in front of us that turned me against them. Either way, we were happy that we were able to see the game (but with no commercials, in case you are wondering) and a great performance by both teams.

I'm also curious if any other observant women out there noticed the DRASTIC change in the appearance of Kurt Warner's wife since the last time he played in a Super Bowl. If you don't know what I'm talking about, just Google "Brenda Warner" and see for yourself. Quite an improvement to say the least. For a moment, I almost thought he had traded in the spiky-haired broad for a younger trophy wife.

So, we had a good time celebrating Super Bowl Sunday 14 hours later than usual and I'm relieved that football season is officially over because I hated missing the games over here!

No comments:

Post a Comment