Thursday, February 19, 2009

Smooth Sailing

This week has passed with no major developments in our world. Elizabeth is about to wrap up her first full week of preschool here and it seems to be going okay so far. She arrives home in the afternoon with a full smile and seems proud of herself for going to school like a big girl. Meanwhile, Emily is delighted to play in big sister's room without having to endure the power struggles over a favorite toy. It's a happier house in all aspects. At Brian's suggestion, we have implemented a reward system for Megan (marble jar) and we are seeing great results so far. After several days of rotten behavior after school, she has morphed into a model child with the promise of getting something special when that 10th marble hits the jar.

I'm becoming more comfortable driving the car. On Wednesday Emily and I picked up my friend Rachel and her 2-year old daughter Sarah and drove to the Farrer Road Wet Market. My only wet market experience had been in Chinatown and this one was more like a traditional farmers market. No frogs or turtles sold here! I bought tomatoes, strawberries, tangerines and chicken breasts. The quality and prices are better than the grocery stores and it's fun to have a different venue for shopping. We played at Sarah's house for a bit and grabbed some lunch at Tanglin Mall so it was a nice mid-week outing.

It sounds like our new helper Delia may start working for us this weekend so we made a quick trip to IKEA to buy furnishings for her little bedroom. Thank goodness she's just under 5 ft tall because we can only fit a junior-sized bed in her quarters. I now need to create a daily schedule for her to follow and I am glad I have received copies from other employers because I have no idea how much someone can accomplish in one day when she is not constantly interrupted!

Now that we're fairly settled here, I'm starting to look at our travel options in the region. Brian and I would like to get away for a few days while Vicki visits in June. I've been asking other expats for tips and the Maldives is definitely the popular choice. After seeing pictures, it's not hard to figure out why. So, I'm trying to get some hotel recommendations and go from there...it's fun to discover an entirely different set of vacation choices.

Brian and I have been spending our free time on conflicting pursuits these days. He is training for his next triathlon so he is exercising every morning after he puts Megan on the school bus. I envy his dedication to a workout schedule. While I've been fairly good about running, I have been a bookworm since we arrived in Singapore. One of these days I'll locate the Singapore library so I can stop giving quite so many Sing Dollars to the local bookstores.

I'm not sure what the weekend will bring for us. With the possibility of our helper arriving Saturday, we may stay close to home. Otherwise we would like to get back to the zoo...whatever we do, it will almost certainly involve water because it's getting warmer here and we're feeling the cool breeze less often. Is winter over already?

No comments:

Post a Comment