Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Fun with Food

I found Mission White Corn Tortilla Strips at the grocery store recently, marking the first time I've spotted the Mission brand in Singapore. I'm always curious to see which US brands decide to market their goods here and was pleased to discover their "wraps" here as well. Yes, they are flour tortillas that apparently they decided would sell better as "wraps."  I'm just happy they cost less than the other brands here.

Well, I couldn't help but laugh when I opened the bag of tortilla strips yesterday and realized they were not packaged in the US. What was my clue? Check out the recipe on the bag:

"Footy Nachos?" Sure enough, they're imported from Australia. That's the term the Aussies use for Australian Rules Football. I don't care where they're made. Those strips are a perfect complement for guacamole.

And while I'm on the subject of American food, I set out to make my own version of Grands Cinnamon Rolls this week. I really don't like paying $10 USD for a can of cinnamon rolls here. It was my first time to knead dough by hand and after watching an informative video on YouTube, I am proud to say I made some amazing cinnamon rolls from scratch. (How did we manage before the Internet?!)

It has been a good (but not exactly healthy) week for food in the Dean home of Singapore!

No comments:

Post a Comment