Last Sunday Brian competed in his third triathlon and he took the difficulty level up a notch by doing an Olympic-distance triathlon for the first time. He has been training for this race since shortly after moving to Singapore to be able to swim 1,500 meters, bike 40k and finish it off with a 10k run. I'm sure that you would agree with me that a 6.2 mile run would be more than enough to exhaust most of us, so this was definitely a challenge. His goals were: 1) to finish 2) in under 3 hours and 3) in the top third of participants. The girls and I went to the race to watch him finish and when I asked how he felt about it afterward, he said, "I wasn't too fast but I was faster than a lot of other people." Given the conditions that day, he really did well to still be running at the end. His age group started at 10:45am so he had to endure the heat of the day. The water off East Coast was choppy and sadly, one Singaporean died during the swim portion of the race.
I'm happy to report that Brian accomplished all three goals and crossed the finish line with a big smile. He finished in 2 hours 56 minutes and he placed 30th out of 168 competitors (top 18%) in his age group. I'm so proud of him for having the discipline to train 7 days/week for the past several months to achieve his goal.
While there's no triathlon on his calendar yet, I'm sure he won't go long before he schedules the next one. He insists that he'll at least take a few weeks off from training so I'll look forward to having him home for Saturday morning pancakes for a little while :) 
No comments:
Post a Comment