Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Fish Food

Brian and I made our first trip to a fish spa this week and I'm certain that I cannot effectively describe the experience in writing!

We went down to VivoCity Mall to shop the sales going on this month and after building up our courage with a couple drinks, we visited a fish spa where we essentially submerged our feet in an aquarium while not-so-small fish nibbled away the dead skin.

The fish are called Garra Rufa and they originated from an area in Turkey where their healing powers were first discovered. The fish consume only the dead skin areas of hands and feet, providing exfoliation and revealing healthy skin. That's the story anyway...

I knew I was going to have to be mentally tough when the fish started swarming before we even put our toes in the spa. The sheer number of the little guys waiting for some dinner was a bit overwhelming.


The first 2 minutes were the worst just because they were in a feeding frenzy and it felt bizarre. Mostly I just felt vibrations while they were around my feet but occasionally I'd feel a tail flip at my ankle and it gave me chills. We agreed that the most disturbing feeling was having fish nibble on the middle of the foot, up by the ankles and around our toe nails. It's just not natural to have fish-covered feet!

For me, 10 minutes felt more like 30 because I could not possibly relax. I couldn't look down at my feet but watched Brian's instead. He commented that the fish were much more interested in my feet and when looking at the pictures afterwards, he wasn't kidding! Perhaps I should have kept my toes in for another 10 minutes to let them really finish the job.

In the end, we both have lovely smooth feet. Mine are definitely better than after a pedicure but I'm not sure I will make a return trip. I'll cross this off my local t0-do list and likely stick with traditional pedicures and reflexology. And just in case you're interested, the fish spa also offers full body procedures -- no, thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I think your day was definitely more exciting and unique than mine!! Not sure I want to ask to do that in Sept!???

    ReplyDelete